the clanking of crystal

I was quite amazed, as I went through my friend's instagram stories, how differently we approach the New Year. I have a confession to make, I don't see the fuss in New Year's eve. A few years ago, I used to think, "hey! I really need to make this last day (of the year) count, so I can feel better about how my year went." Well, somewhere along those lines. I'm not saying that's what everyone thinks. I watched as many of my friend's celebrated well into the night and watched fireworks. I was sleeping. How boring, right? I woke up to the sound of fireworks, as the neighbors next door welcomed the new year. I thought about getting up, looking out to see how the sky lit, but I went back to sleep. I didn't feel bad, you know, I had a great last day. I read a lot, spent time with my sister and my brother-in-law's family, and thought how amazing it was that I was in South Africa.

 For those who don't know, or have randomly stumbled upon this, I grew up here. It has been seventeen years since I left and after the many twists and turns of this life, I find myself once again, here, not exactly where I used to live, but pretty close.

 For Christmas, we drove to a beach close to Durban, where my sister was born. It was so surreal being back, where I have so many happy yet blurry memories.

We set out New Years eve eve at two a.m to get back to Johannesburg, and thus, spent the whole day being lazy. I think that New Years for me, is just a reminder, of how I should make every day count. Sometimes, when we get caught up in the routine of life, we forget to really appreciate each day as it comes. A day is not magically going to make our lives better, but the sum of them, how we live each moment, in the end, can add up to something pretty amazing.

 

 "So this is the new year. 
And i don't feel any different. 
The clanking of crystal 
Explosions off in the distance (in the distance)
 ... 

So this is the new year 
And I have no resolutions 
...

I wish the world was flat like the old days 
Then i could travel just by folding a map 
No more airplanes, or speed trains, or freeways 
There'd be no distance that could hold us back." 
 Death Cab for Cutie

Comments

Popular Posts