art,

Slowly the days pass by and yet I know that soon, I will have to start thinking about tests. This week is almost over and I'm not sure where it went!

The city I'm now living in is very calm. I can get anywhere in a matter of 15 minutes walk. It's a much bigger difference than when I lived in São Paulo. I used to take about an hour and a half to do anything there. The sad thing is that I miss it a little bit. Mainly being able to go different places in the city. I don't think I want to go back though. I like it here and even though it's difficult finding people who think the same way as I do. I know that for now, I'm where I'm supposed to be.

I'm in the library trying to finish up catching up on my art history. I just finished reading about the Byzantine - Christian era. I'm often amazed at what art really is about. For me, it has been a way to express myself, in the different colors and techniques that I've been learning. A way to put out what I have inside. There were times though, that it had a singular objective. In the Egyptian era, it was strictly to tell the stories of great men and to facilitate their passage into the after life. It became incredibly beautiful by the Greeks and expressive during the hellenistic era. In a way, it becomes an exaggeration. Later, it goes back to being a simple way of helping people understand their own religion. It seems to go back and forth between simplicity and exaggeration.

 It's so interesting, how something like art becomes broad, and how we define it today.

My philosophy teacher thinks that because our world is in chaos that our thoughts on art have become chaotic and without meaning. Sometimes I think we're just trying to find meaning in the things we do, and maybe just express it as emptiness. All I know, right now, is that I don't know if I can completely dive into this world of art. I love it, but I want to do something bigger and greater. Even in art, it becomes a bit empty.

Comments

Popular Posts