book worm: an abundance of Katherines

"You can love someone so much, he thought. But you can never love people as much as you can miss them." (p. 10)



Somtimes when I'm browsing on pinterest, I often try to find quotes that capture what I'm feeling at the moment. I liked many different quotes by John Green and when I found an English copy of his book at the local store, I had to see if I'd like his storytelling.

An Abundance of Katherines tells the story of a child prodigy, Colin Singleton, who's worried he won't become a genius. Oh, and he's been dumped by nineteen different Katherines. As I was reading, I thought that he had been dumped my the same Katherine nineteen times, but no, he's been dumped my nineteen different Katherines. Intrigued?

I must admit that I found the language unnecessary, I actually am not a big fan of it, but I do understand that it's commonly used. Maybe I have just been reading too many classics recently and so I was bothered by it. I didn't really know how the story was going to end, which kept me reading. I found the footnotes amusing, and learned a lot from Colin. I wouldn't say I would read this book again, but I was able to earmark a few good quotes.

I am going to try reading the Fault in Our Stars and see if I like that one, but I'm not sure I'd recommend this book, even though there were a few times I chuckled.

"Son, if there's one thing I know, and Colin thought about how old people always like to tell you the one thing they know, it's that there's some people in this world who you can just love and love no matter what."  (p.124)

Comments

Popular Posts