la mariposa goes to Lilliesleaf

As I landed in Johannesburg, a feeling of familiarity flooded me, as I realized I was back in the land where I grew up as a child. For those that don't know me, I moved to Durban when I was a year and a half, I lived in Africa for almost 9 years, spending some time in Pretoria and also Maputo, Mozambique.

It's been over a month since I've been back from South Africa. For the first few weeks, it was so surreal, I had a feeling that everything was familiar but at the same time new. I got to see some old friends and discover a whole new city.

I found Johannesburg to be a very diverse city. It seemed like there was always a new thing to try or to visit, especially food-wise. The only thing that was tough is that most of the alternative things (besides the real touristy things) to do were on the weekend, but there are other sightseeing you can do during the week.

so here I am to humbly suggest some of the things you can do if you travel to Johannesburg.






Hidden away in the suburb of Rivonia is Lilliesleaf, a heritage site dedicated to telling the story of the liberation movement. This musuem gives a variety of stories of the different figures involved in the critical period of South Africa's history. It's a place where I was able to reflect on the struggle and sacrfices of different people in order to maintain freedom.


This place was a refuge for many political figures, such as Nelson Mandela, who lived there under an assumed name. It was there that many of the other leaders in the ANC (African National Congress) were able to meet and strategize.



It was humbling for me to learn more about this period in South Africa. It made me think about how often we take our freedom for granted. How many people fought hard to make sure we had equal rights. Let's never forget the sacrifices made for us to have a better society.

Stay tuned for more things to do around Joburg <3




Comments

Popular Posts